The Demarest Garden Club adheres to the guidelines and rules published in the National Garden Club’s Handbook. When putting together your next arrangement consider the following suggestions:
Conditioning Fresh Plant Material
- Cut flowers in early evening.
- Place specimen in tepid water up to the flower head for conditioning.
- Keep container of plant material in cool, dark room overnight.
- Remove all foliage that will be below water line.
Using Mechanics and Tools
- Floral foam, chicken wire and kenzan position plant material.
- Wooden picks, wire and floral tape support weak stems.
- Floral tubes provide water to short stemmed materials.
- Floral pins, velcro and heavy thread are used to attach/suspend components.
Things To Do
|Oct 1-4||GCNJ Gardening Study School
Holly House at Rutgers Gardens, East Brunswick, NJ
Details at www.gardenclubofnewjersey.com
|Oct 4||In-Club Plant Exchange themed “Sharing”
Gather cuttings, seeds, and plants from your garden to exchange with members.
|Nov 1||In-Club Flower Show themed “Celebrating the Holidays”
Exhibit at club’s November meeting any style floral arrangement interpreting the theme.
|Feb 12||Horticulture Therapy for Senior Citizens at Care One
Members volunteer their assistance with project.
|Mar 1-8||Philadelphia Flower Show, Theme: Riviera Holiday
Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia, PA
For more information, click here, http://www.theflowershow.com/
|Apr 3||In-Club “Show and Tell” themed “Welcome Spring”
Share the first signs of spring by brining in a bud from your garden.